Start-ups in Seattle have an edge: They're in Seattle. This is where some of the greats got their start: Microsoft, Boeing, Amazon, Starbucks... do I need to go on?
So what is it about Seattle that makes this vibrant city an entrepreneur's dream come true? A frontier mind, homegrown talent and plenty of capital. According to FastCompany.com, "There is a frontier spirit and an edge to Seattle. In the northwest there’s this whole wagon-trail kind of frontier and that lives here definitely more than in San Francisco."
In other startup hubs, such as Boston, most of the city's talent is coming from surrounding universities like Harvard and MIT. In Seattle, the talent comes from the big companies like Microsoft and Amazon, and these former employees are creating their own startups in Seattle.As for capital, according to FastCompany.com, California residents are realizing just how competitive their state is, so they're bringing money and talent to Seattle. And let's face it, the economy in Seattle is really good. In fact, Seattle is such a sought after place to live that it comes in at number two for the shortest time a house stays on the market, behind only Denver. Some of the most recent successful Seattle startups that embody the energy of this tech hub are:
- CodingDojo: A Bellevue-based company that teaches coding in 14 weeks.
- Convoy: This startup matches truck drivers and trucking companies with shippers to coordinate freight shipments.
- M3 Biotechnology: This Seattle startup's goal is to wipe out neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s.
- Outreach: This startup's vision is to completely transform the way sales professionals communicate by streamlining traditionally manual processes and using data to optimize the effectiveness of every sales activity.
- Pixvana: At this new company, the entrepreneurs are working hard to make sure every virtual reality experience you have is everything you thought it would be and more.
- Poppy: We've all heard the saying "it takes a village to raise a child." Poppy helps parents hire trusted help by screening babysitters and nannies.
All in all, Seattle remains one of the most business-friendly environments in the country. If you're an entrepreneur with a startup in Seattle, we would love to talk to you about your unique software development needs. We've been around since 1989 helping many of Seattle successful startups. Call us today at 425-256-2815.